Sunday, November 20, 2011

Don’t Forget Your Top!

It’s fall and as much fun as getting out there and trying to squeak in another day or two of topless/doorless driving is, make sure that you don’t forget to bring along the top or get a good weather forecast beforehand! I recently found this magazine cover published by the VFW in 1947 and loved it. Never having seen it before I wondered about the illustrator. Turns out he was a 23 year old buck sergeant in the Signal Corps, William G. Jacobson of Chicago. The blurb about him reads that, “he found time to make quite a few ETO sketches while overseas, to keep his technique from becoming rusty. The guy’s shy- that’s about all we could get out of him. Evidently he expresses himself best with a paint brush.” I haven’t been able to find out much more about him myself. If you happen to know more about him, please contact me @ thisoldjeepdotcom@gmail.com. The only thing that I have found was another cover illustration from a 1952 Catholic magazine, “Extension.” Looks similar to his style, but I can’t be sure.
Curious if he ever did anymore jeep illustrations and of course, I’d also like to see those other ETO drawings. In the meantime, keep warm and don’t forget that top because otherwise your significant other may never forgive you! Check back later this week around the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend when I hope to have the all new This-Old-Jeep.com 2012 calendar finished. Also check out all of the new This-Old-Jeep.com items in our online store!

No comments:

Post a Comment