Sunday, September 23, 2012

Something For The Little Jeepers



Something for the little jeepers today straight from the 1945 pages of Popular Science Magazine. In May 1945, Pop Sci presented us with a way of getting our very own GPA amphibious Seep way before you saw the ads in back of your comic books for surplus crated jeeps for sale. Only thing was the finished model was not only a pretty complicated and detailed Seep but it was only about 7 1/2” long.
Then a few months later they carried a jeep that was a bit bigger, but still was really only made for the little ones. The kid sized pedal powered jeeps, one metal and the other wooden are presented as plans. A pretty ambitious little project (especially as it is presented as something that you can make now for Christmas...) and I wish that I were a better wood or metal worker than I am! But who knows? Maybe I’ll give them a try one day. let me know if you do. I’d love to see them!
Of course the jeep had fans both big and small and so soon after these the commercial toy manufacturers came out with their own jeep pedal cars for kids. And while these are fairly rare to find nowadays, I wonder how many people still have their first little jeeps?
Stay tuned and I’ll have many more Popular Science and Popular Mechanix articles to come in the next few weeks while I’m gearing up for other big projects! Also be sure to check us out on Facebook. We’re nearly at 500 fans and the 500th fan will receive a free This-Old-Jeep.com bumper sticker! Check us out today!
You can also find us on TwitterTumblrPinterestBlogger and Flickr. There are plenty of ways to get your online fix of This-Old-Jeep.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment